One of the UK’s most feared and outspoken food critics has been taken ill at his London home after eating a ropey steak tartare. Is this a case of revenge of the scorned restaurants?
Poor Michael Winner! The 75-year-old collapsed with an E.coli infection this week and was rushed to the Chelsea and Westminster hospital by ambulance.
The gourmet expert had to stay in the London hospital for four days, no doubt honing his acerbic reviewing style over the fare served by staff.
“The steak was bought from the best butcher in town!” bragged Winner to the Daily Mai, but it didn’t stop him ending up in casualty.
Winner was released on Monday — and recommended never to eat steak tartare again.
In 2007, the famed foodie nearly died after eating a bad oyster on a trip to the Caribbean. He nearly lost his leg from the infection as a result.
Over the years, Hg2 has produced many 1000s of venue reviews across many of the top traveller destinations in the world. We try our best to forge great relationships with all venues we feature on our websites or in our city guides. Can the same be said of one of the UK’s most feared and outspoken food critics, Michael winner?
Perhaps after all his many scathing reviews he’s left a bad taste in the mouths of restaurant owners and chef around the world.
Revenge, in this case, is a dish cooked and served by oneself.